Featured Blog Articles
Environmental Management Systems ISO 14001:2015
ISO 14001:2015 is a global Environmental Management standard that measures the responsiveness of management ideas towards creating a better environment. This is required for organizations to adopt a systematic approach to environmental management by implementing environmental management systems with the aim of contributing to the environmental pillar. The popularity of the scheme has been deemed as Eco-friendly and in addition, the certification recognizes organizations that have developed management policy and institutional frameworks that are environmentally responsible. ISO 14001:2015 is an Environmental Management System (EMS) standard that looks at the capacity and absolute potential of organizations to reduce their environmental impacts on the ecological aspect surrounding the production of their products.
The futuristic nature of the certification proactively compels companies to consider their potential environmental impact before they become irretrievable. Whilst the certification allows organizations to reduce their impact on the environment negatively, the certification promotes efficient production systems that are not only cost effective but very productive indeed.
The following are the basic and elementary requirements for the ISO 14001:2015 certification:
- Compliance with national and international environmental law and legislation without compromise.
- Prevent pollution or negative environment impact by your organization in all its spheres and approaches.
- Develop and effect environmental management systems in line with the global standards and benchmarks.
- Develop mechanisms to control and communicate to industry players about possible environmental solutions by your organization and its existing environmental problems
Any facility offering Products or Services and is desirous of having a globally acceptable environmental protection system needs to get certified to ISO 14001:2015.
Any facility desirous of assuring customers about their environmental protection systems should get ISO 14001 certification.
Any facility desirous of having interests of all stake holders covered in their system and has adequate provisions for mitigating risks in their processes must get ISO 14001 Certification
Any facility desirous of having a strong marketing tool to showcase their environmental protection capabilities must get ISO 14001certification
Any facility desirous of having a complete system which covers all aspects of operations in one single system for management review for environmental protection must have ISO 14001 certification
Any facility whose management desires to have one single system through which management can build teamwork, review progress, measure, monitor, make corrections and give impetus for continual improvement must get ISO 14001 Certification
Most automotive OEMs have made it mandatory for their tier1 and tier 2 suppliers to have environmental management systems. Hence Tier 1 suppliers and Tier 2 Suppliers for automotive industry need to get ISO 14001 certification
- Process of ISO certification starts with preparation of an Environmental Management System (EMS)
- ISO Consultants assist in developing a comprehensive, EMS to meet all requirements of ISO 14001 and Third-Party Certification Body stage 1 audit requirements. The stage 1 audit from Certification Bodies vary depending on the selected Certification Bodies which verifies the documented system meeting all ISO 14001 requirements or not
- An ISO 14001 consulting firm provides the techniques for implementation, and trains organization’s internal auditors to become competent to perform internal audits or provides ISO Internal Auditing Services to audit all processes, all ISO 14001 Standard requirements and effective implementation of ISO 14001 Standard
- Facilities need to initiate corrective actions and continual improvement is realized through control of nonconforming products/services.
- Facilities need to implement the prepared EMS for a minimum of 3 months and gather adequate data and record to show as evidence
- Managements of the facilities need to conduct one full scale review of the entire EMS and ensure its adequacy for their organization. Management Team needs to identify Action items to make corrections to any ISO 14001 requirement not being fulfilled
- Once a QMS is ready, Internal audit is performed and one full set of Management review takes place, the facility needs to contact a certification Body for certification audit
- Certification Bodies conduct Audit in 2 stages. During Stage 1, ISO 14001audit will evaluate the documentation system and basic requirements of meeting ISO Requirements
- Certification Body will return for final audit where all ISO 14001 Requirements will be thoroughly audited to ensure that requirements are met and documentary evidence exists to demonstrate compliance
- Once certification Body is satisfied, recommendation is sent to accrediting agencies to issue ISO 14001 certification
The benefits of having an ISO 14001:2015 certification are apparent.
The primary objective of ISO 14001 is to provide an internationally binding management practice approach for effective Environmental Management Systems. The ideas here are instrumental in promoting an effective approach towards cleaner production. The benefits are listed and in fact, the certification guarantees every one:
- An ISO 14001 certified company promotes effective production in the sense that certification helps you reduce your utility bills through cost effective production.
- ISO 14001 Certification Provides an imperative and effective risk management tool that further helps to infer best planning and management practices for your organization.
- The ISO 14001 certification is the intermediary player that will allow your organization to comply with the existing environmental law, legislation and policy.
- Aside from improving your corporate image as an environmentally responsible organization, the ISO 14001 certification also develops the capacity for your staff to be aware of global environmental issues in the world.
- ISO 14001:2015 certification helps in making the facilities to environmentally conscious till end of life of products or services
- ISO 14001 certification helps facilities have a program for emergency preparedness
- ISO 14001 certification is a powerful marketing tool that will bring your organization a long-term Global Recognition
- ISO 14001 certification helps organizations preserve knowledge on environmental impacts of their products and services
- ISO 14001 certification helps in mitigating global problems of environment and is an essential step in safeguarding interests of future generations.
- ISO 14001 Certification helps organizations fulfill their statutory and regulatory obligations towards environmental aspects
- Aligns organization’s Strategic Direction with Customer focused, Objectives and Goals, Environment Policy, and all Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- ISO 14001 certification is very critical in providing the necessary platform of action for environmental impact assessment, crisis prevention and mitigation.
- Quality Systems Enhancement Inc. (QSE) is a Premier Consulting, Auditing and Training firm engaged in the field of ISO 14001 certification to international standards
- QSE has a unique 10 steps disciplined path for ISO 14001 certification which is insensitive to failure
- QSE has assisted over 700 facilities achieve ISO certifications
- QSE’s unique document simplification tools result in smooth implementation to achieve ISO 14001 certification
- QSE identifies all processes from “Quote to Cash” in other words all activities from submission of quote, processing of the order, environmental protection control, dispatch to customer and receive cash. All manufacturing and non-manufacturing processes are covered
- QSE’ s documentation covers all requirements of customers and other interested parties, statutory and regulatory requirements
- QSE’s unique simplified documented system is easy to integrate to other management systems
- QSE engages qualified and competent auditors to conduct internal audits
- QSE’s internal audits are more stringent than Certification Bodies audits and will help companies pass certification audits with minimum nonconformities or no nonconformity
- 98% of QSE assisted facilities passed the initial certification audit with zero deficiencies with a 100% passing rate first time around
- QSE covers all the requirements of the standard including the implicit intent of the standard
- QSE’s system development involves all relevant employees which lead to effective implementation
- QSE’s Document Simplification is unique comprehensive single level documentation which ensures effective implementation
- QSE’s documentation is unique, simple, lean and easy to implement and sustains certification audits in the long run
- QSE’s ISO 14001 internal auditing services promote the unbiased assessment of QMS implementation and the extent of implementation
- QSE ensures to provide implementation assistance or complete understanding of the documentation and requirements
- QSE’s unique management review format results in to no nonconformities against management review during certification audits.
- QSE does not simply tell our customers what to do but assists them on how to do
- QSE’s 10-step disciplined path for ISO 14001 certification achieves organizations certification in the shortest possible time. Usually within 5 months
- QSE provides post auditing services if required and can take the disputes to the highest levels for resolution
QSE has assisted over 700 organization in obtaining ISO and other certifications, contact details can be furnished on demand for any certification
Free list of Clarifications for Concepts Covered in Annex A of ISO 14001:2015 Standard
Frequently Asked Questions
Environmental Audits are unbiased, structured and documented evaluation of implementing international Standard ISO 14001, and recording the results.
- First-Party Audit: Audits performed by a team within the facility is called First-Party Audit
- Second-Party Audit: Audits performed by organizations on their suppliers is called Second-Party Audit
- Third-Party Audit: Audits performed by Certification Bodies is known as a Third-Party audit
Third-Party Audit Certification Bodies (Accredited by International Accreditation Forum or IAF) perform the audits on the organizations to grant ISO 14001 Certifications with demonstrated evidence of conformity to all the requirements of ISO 14001:2015.
Most OEMs in the automotive industry have made it mandatory for their Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers to obtain ISO 14001 certifications. Some countries insist on ISO 14001 Certifications to permit imports in their countries in view of the disposal procedure required at the end of life cycle of the product. Certification to ISO 14001 is the best way to avoid EPA audits