SQF – Safety and Quality Assurance in Global Food Production, Storage and Supply
Safe Quality Food (SQF) standard is now revised to Edition 8. All units to be audited afresh or for surveillance audits are to follow this edition post January 2, 2018. The purpose of revision to SQF in Edition 8 is to simplify and make it easy to follow. SQF has now dispensed with Levels and in its place, introduced a simple mechanism of adding sector specific FSC. Following table shows how this works. Appendix 1 of the revised standard shows the details of Sector specific FSC to be followed
|Previously Called||Present in Edition 8||Basic/ Advanced||HACCP included/not Included||Recognized by GFSI/ NOT recognized|
Basic Produce: Low Risk
|Food Safety Fundamentals (Module 2+ FSC modules 5, 6, 7, 7H, or 8)||Basic
|Not Included||Not Recognized|
|Level 2 Manufacturing
High Risk Now includes Animal Feed
|Food Safety Code Module 2 + (Modules 3, 4, 9, 10, or 11).||Advanced||Included||Recognized|
|Level 3 Manufacturing + Quality Systems High Risk
Includes Pet Animal feed
|Food Safety Code for Manufacture of Packaging Materials (Module 2 + Module 13)||
|Included Includes Quality Management.
Includes Risk Based Approaches
|Storage of Food||Food Safety Code (Module 2 + Module 12)||Advanced||Included||Recognized|
|Retail||Food Safety Code (New + Module 15)||Advanced||Included||Under process|
Module 2 Consists of 9 elements.
- Management Commitment
- Document Control & Records
- Specifications and Product Development
- Food Safety Systems
- SQF System Inspection
- Product Identification Trace, Withdrawal and Recall
- Food Defense and Food Fraud
- Allergen Management
The Purpose of SQF Changes:
Purpose of Revisions to SQF Program have been to achieve following goals:
- Make the Standard to be adaptable all Industry Sectors,
- To Incorporate latest additions to Food Safety Maintenance Act FSMA
- To make Continual Improvement a part of Food Safety Management System (FSMS)
- To Incorporate all benchmarking requirements of GFSI as per GFSI V7
Benefits of the SQF program
- Program provides important tools and guidance materials in promoting quality driven management practice in food production, processing and supply.
- SQF has been endorsed and widely acknowledged by leading sector players in the food production industry including the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Food Quality and Management Control Systems.
- Promoted informative yearly certification and third-party audits to help retailers and processors maintain the SQF Food Safety and Quality benchmark.
- The SQF program allows the validation of food processing and production systems throughout the whole Food chain.
- Suppliers and producers with the SQF certification have an increased competitive advantage in the market.
QSE’s “Ten Step Approach”™ to Registration is designed and perfected to cost- effectively prepare facilities for successfully passing Certification Audits with minimum or no nonconformities. QSE emphasizes on developing Simplified Documented Management Systems to meet or exceeds the requirements of any Management System Standard requirements. This 10 Step Approach has a built-in discipline to involve all employees including top management right from the beginning to achieve long-term desired results. Our approach is so complete that we have helped over 600 companies obtain certification, of which, majority have obtained certification with zero deficiencies.
Please click below to download a free pest control checklist for SQF or complete the proposal request form to the left for more information on how QSE can help your company.
[wpi_designer_button text=’Free Pest Control Checklist for SQF’ link=’https://qsebackup.atlcreative.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Pest-Control-Checklist_Pdf-file.pdf’]