Featured Blog Articles
What is FSSC 22000 Certification?
FSSC stands for Food Safety Systems Certification. FSSC 22000 Standard is a Food Safety System Certification Standard recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI). GFSI is an association of food safety experts from over 89 countries, come together to fix benchmarks in food safety. These benchmarks shall be followed to obtain certification to Food Safety Standard which is globally acceptable. FSSC 22000 Standard certification is one of them. FSSC 22000 standard is now revised to FSSC 22000: 2019 version 5 released in May 2019. FSSC 22000 essentially constitutes the additional specific requirements of FSSC 22000:2019, ISO 22000:2018, and Prerequisite conditions under ISO/TS 22002-X, where X is selective based on the type of industry seeking certification. ISO/TS 22002 replaces Publicly Available Specifications (PAS) for prerequisite conditions or good practices required for a facility to obtain certifications. These god practices are applicable to all sectors of food chain which includes farming, processing, packing, storage and transportation.
What Variable ISO/TS 22002-x is Applicable to Different Sectors of Food Chain?
- ISO/TS 22002-1 applicable to Any organization that Processes or Manufactures food for Animal or Human Consumption
- ISO/TS 22002-2 applicable to Any organization that is Catering food
- ISO/TS 22002-3 applicable to Any organization that is engaged in Farming food
- ISO/TS 22002-4 applicable to Any organization that is engaged in Packaging of food
- ISO/TS 22002-5 applicable to Any organization that is engaged in Transportation and Storage of food (Yet to be released and published)
- ISO/TS 22002-6 applicable to Any organization that is engaged in Manufacture of Animal Feed
- ISO/TS 22000-7 applicable to Any organization that is engaged in Wholesale and Retail of Food
FSSC 22000 in its 2019 version 5 has introduced some additional special requirements keeping the global terror threats as some of the considerations. These include vulnerability and security. FSSC 22000 is also recognized as ISO FSSC 22000 since ISO 22000 is a part of FSSC 22000
ISO 22000:2018 has been framed to align with ISO 9001:2015 which could be helpful when preparing integrated system
ISO certification Bodies conduct audit on ISO 22000, Prerequisite programs and FSSC 22000 additional requirements and issue FSSC 22000 certificate upon passing FSSC 22000 Certification Audit.
If answer to any of the following quaestions is Yes then you need FSSC 22000 certification:
- Are you part of a food chain involved with farm produce, food processing, food storage &transportation or Food packaging?
- Are you subject to FDA audits?
- Have you ever been subject to a recall by FDA for any problem from your facility?
- Are you interested in having a good marketing tool with Food Safety Certification?
- Do you want to become a global player for Food processing or Food Packaging?
- Are you hoping increase consumer confidence and improve sales?
Please refer to comparative table in “summary of food safety management” on this web site for a comparative table in decision making on food safety standard to be selected for your facility
- Any Facility engaged in food manufacture, food storage or food transportation or food packaging and form a part of the food supply chain should get certified to GFSI recognized food safety standards
- FSSC 22000 Standard is one of the GFSI recognized Food Safety Standard.
- Facilities should get FSSC 22000 certification to improve customer confidence and acceptance in regard to food safety
- FSSC 22000 certification is a mandatory requirement as per Food Safety Modernization Act of USA (FSMA)
- Facilities that require global acceptance of their products and services related to food safety should get certified to FSSC 22000 or other GFSI standards
- FSSC 22000 certification is a way to get ahead in competition
- FSSC 22000 certification avoids FDA audits
- FSSC 22000 Certification process starts with forming Food Safety Team within the facility and select one Leader out of the Team. QSE with its vast experience can suggest methods of doing it
- QSE trains the leader to become a Food Safety Leader or Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) which is a mandatory requirement
- QSE can train and help Food Safety Leader to institute HACCP and HARPC which also is a mandatory requirement
- QSE trains and designs a Food Safety Management System (FSMS) based on FSSC 22000 Audit Checklist to institute current good manufacturing practices for the facility and meet current good manufacturing practices prescribed in ISO/TS 22002-X as applicable to the facility for FSSC 22000 certification
- QSE can prepare documentation under FSMS to create evidence on Food Safety Activities
- QSE has special documentation for Foreign Supplier Verification Program (FSVP) for imports from Canada, China, Mexico and other countries
- QSE includes exclusive documentation for Allergen control
- QSE documentation includes mock recalls to ensure operativity of recall system,
- QSE documentation includes special additional requirements covered on FSSC 22000:2019
- QSE has a simplified single level documentation system which is unique, for Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) under any select module applicable for the facility
- QSE conducts a comprehensive internal audit by certified and competent auditors to verify the accuracy and adequacy of documentation which is a requirement before FSSC 22000 audit
- QSE can coordinate to arrange a FSSC 22000 audits with ANAB (ANSI/USA) accredited Certification Bodies
- QSE uses FSSC 22000 audit checklist to perform thorough FSSC 22000 internal audits and guarantees minimum nonconformities during FSSC 22000 certification audits
- QSE’s a 10-step disciplined path for certification is insensitive to failure
- QSE guarantees FSSC 22000 certification if the organization follows QSE’s 10 Step disciplined path for FSSC 22000 certification
- QSE orchestrates every step of the way for certification to FSSC 22000:2019
- FSSC 22000 standard provides important tools and guidance materials in promoting quality driven management practice in food production, processing and supply
- FSSC 22000 has been endorsed and widely acknowledged by leading sector players in the food production industry
- FSSC 22000 certification is recognized by Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) hence, widely accepted
- The Mandatory Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan is an integral part of Food Safety Management System. (FSMS) under FSSC 22000 Standard
- FSMS includes Hazard Analysis Risk-based Preventive Controls (HARPC) to meet the final rule requirements of FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act)
- FSSC 22000 emphasizes Allergen control as part of Food Safety Measure
- FSSC 22000 Promotes informative yearly certification and third-party audits to help retailers and processors maintain the FSSC 22000 Food Safety and Quality benchmark.
- FSSC 22000 standard allows the validation of food processing and production systems throughout the Food Chain
- Suppliers and producers with the FSSC 22000 certification have an increased competitive advantage in the market
- FSSC 22000 certified facilities for food safety, ensures that all regulatory requirements are diligently met
- FSSC 22000 certified facilities have an edge in marketing products/services as compared to those who are not FSSC 22000 certified
- FSSC 22000 certification avoids buyer audits and audits by Food Safety Inspection Services (FSIS) of FDA
- Unmatchable FSSC 22000 Consulting, Training and Auditing Experience and Expertise:
- Quality Systems Enhancement Inc. (QSE) is a premier consulting, auditing and training firm engaged in advocating food safety system certifications for over 27 years in the USA
- QSE has extensive experience in assisting packaging facilities in achieving all food safety packaging certifications such as:
- BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials, Issue 5
- Food Safety System Certification 22000 (FSSC 22000) Standard, Ver. 5.2
- Safe Quality Food (SQF) Module 2 for Packaging, Ed.8.1
- IFS PAC Secure, Rev.2
- QSE provides required training for FSSC 22000 certification with competent trainers
- Effective FSSC 22000 Training and Mentoring:
- QSE engages competent trainers to conduct FSSC 22000 training and other GFSI recognized standards such as BRC, IFS and SQF
- QSE focuses on terms, concepts, and principles as a foundation to effectively implement FSSC 22000 standard with interactive style in training sessions. Our training sessions emphasize effective implementation techniques
- FSSC 22000 Quality Manual/Documentation Made Simple:
- QSE provides a unique simplified documentation system to meet FSSC 22000 version 5 standard requirements which is easy to follow and easy to maintain over the years for compliance to FSSC 22000 Food standard and maintain FSSC 22000 certification
- FSSC 22000 Audit Checklists that Makes Difference:
- QSE uses FSSC 22000 audit checklist for all 3 FSSC required standards to ensure FSSC 22000 compliance which is similar to FSSC 22000 audit checklists used by FSSC certification body auditors for awarding FSSC certification
- QSE prepared FSSC 22000 standard audit checklists helps facilities to effectively prepare for FSSC 22000 certification audit
- Efficiency in Achieving FSSC Certification
- QSE helps facilities to get certified in the shortest possible time invariably within 6 months using efficient methods and processes
- FSSC Certification Guaranteed:
- QSE guarantees FSSC 22000 certification to all facilities willing to follow the proven 10 step disciplined path devised by it
- Post FSSC 22000 Audit Support:
- QSE offers post FSSC 22000 audit services to advocate the case of the facility to any extent till FSSC certification is achieved, which is seldom available with other FSSC Consulting companies
- Guaranteed FSSC certification
- QSE’s 10-step disciplined path for certification achieves certification in the shortest possible time. Usually within 6 months
- QSE has assisted over 700 organizations to obtain various ISO certifications and other sector specific certifications such as Automotive, Aerospace and Food Safety
- QSE assisted among other 4 facilities of American Packaging corporation, Strong Haven, Utah Paper Box, Duso Box, Packaging Atlanta for their Food Safety certifications to name a few
- American Packaging corporation obtained their certification in less than 6 months
Frequently Asked Questions
FSSC is chosen mostly because of customer preference.
FSSC has no scoring system.
FSSC:2019 through ISO 22000:2018 is compatible with ISO 9001:2015 standard.
Certification can be obtained in less than 5 months with the cooperation and subject to availability of Certification Bodies.
QSE has a simplified documentation system which is unique and easily integrate existing standards with FSSC and additional documentations would be marginal