ISO 27001 – Information Management Security System
ISO 27001\IEC is a standardized global criteria that has been developed to promote security of information systems through quality system management. The rational that has inspired the need for quality assurance in the information sector is based on the sensitivity of private and confidential information supplied through such information systems.
The certification provides detailed frameworks in the various ideas needed to develop an effective Information Security Management System (ISMS) and policy framework for the organizational level. The ISO 27001 is a product of the International Standardization Organization (ISO) in partnership with the International Electro- Technical commission (IEC) and was published in 2005. The standard involves the development of security systems techniques and management practices that are globally acclaimed.
It aims at bringing in information security under critical and well developed management practice through formal specification of management systems and auditing. Also helps to mandate basic requirements and set-ups toward the creation of information security systems that will provide effective ideas in the practice. While many organizations have developed an information security approach, there is an emphasis on having ISMS to compliment their efforts.
The following are some of the requirements of the ISO 27001 certification:
- An effective information risk assessments mechanism that will identify areas of need and vulnerability and the potential impact these risks can have on the companies’ information management systems.
- ISO 27001 requires the development of a comprehensive information security control system with an in-depth analysis of the modern technologies on systems security.
- Compels organizations to adopt and retain an effective management practice that plays a crucial role in safeguarding data systems from potential breaches.
- The certification also requires companies to develop an informative information security policy and direction that will be supplied within all the departments of the company.
The following are the gross benefits of implementing an information security management system under the ISO 27001 certification plan:
- Promoted organizational interoperability that has enhanced resource sharing and productive capacity increase.
- Promotes organizational responsibility in the development of an effective information security management system that guarantees safety and security of private information.
- The standard has also informed best practices in data management in an effort to create awareness on the possible threats on information and develop mechanisms to neutralize these particular threats.
- ISO 27001 has also provided an internationally binding benchmark for measuring modern management practices and its impact in information management and security by leading organizations.
- Contributed to a substantial policy framework in the promotion of better ideas in information security and safety.
QSE adopts a “Ten Step Approach”™ to Implementation. This approach, designed and perfected by QSE, addresses each facet in an easy to implement manner. Tools merge with each other seamlessly and so effortlessly that the end product is a top-notch quality.