ISO Publishes OH&S Standard ISO 45001:
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) have kept their word once again and as committed have published a comprehensive International Standard ISO 45001 in March 2018 which is a standard aimed at creating a complete Organization’s Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OH&S Management)
If one were to look at ISO 9001:2015 standard clause 7.1.4 states (page 6) “The Organization shall determine, provide and maintain the environment necessary for the operation of its processes and to achieve conformity of products and services.” In the note c) of the same clause it mentions that Physical Environment (e.g. Temperature, Heat, Humidity, Light, Airflow, Hygiene Noise) is important to ensure quality of products and services. The standard also says that factors may vary depending on the products and services.
ISO 45001:2018 is an answer to this very clause. The standard has been prepared by taking in to account recommendations of several experts from the filed of OH &S of industry and the resolutions passed by International Labor Organization (ILO) for the benefit of labor force across the globe. This standard replaces the existing international standard OHASAS 18001.
Is Certification to ISO 45001 Mandatory?
Certification to ISO 45001 may not be mandatory depending on the nature and type of products and services but compliance to this standard, speaks volumes about the safe working conditions of the organizations. Certification to this standard assures the customer that unethical employment and exploitation of labor force is not done in the organization and it would be mutually beneficial to do business.
What is the Compatibility with Other Standards?
This ISO 45001:2018 is highly compatible with 2015 revised ISO standards like ISO 9001:2015. ISO 14001:2015 and other Standards. It has the same 10 element high level structure. This standard too emphasizes the importance of Risk Based thinking and inclusion of Risk mitigation as a major requirement. It would be fairly, easy to integrate this standard with other standards implemented in an organization.
What are the benefits of Implementing ISO 450001:2018 Standard?
Implementing ISO 45001:2018 standards would substantially aid in improving Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) in an organization
- Organizations will have a definite OH&S policy. organizations determine quantifiable, measurable OH& S objectives and strategies to reach OH&S targets
- Organizations shall take into effect the needs and expectations of their employees with respect to OH&S.
- Determining potential OH&S hazards in advance, through identified risks and methods to eliminate them will reduce adverse incidents related to OH&S
- Organization will help reduce the burden on agencies providing health care by avoiding OH&S related problems
- Organization will help themselves by complying with regulations in line with ILO resolutions.
- Organizations will increase awareness on OH&S factors and forewarn their employees to avoid all associated risks
- Organizations will be bound to take all necessary actions to avoid potential risks associated with OH &S.
These measures will not only promote the reputation of being a safe place to work but will also have direct tangible benefits such as:
- Reduction in overall costs related to OH&S incidents
- Reduction in production losses due to absenteeism related to OH&S
- Reduces costs of insurance premia paid on behalf of workers compensation
- Improves the morale while working thereby reduces the staff turnover
- Certification will help organizations in achieving International Bench Mark and facilitate customers in doing business.
- Certification ensures compliance to all local, federal and international regulations on labor conditions.
Quality Systems Enhancement Inc. is a reputed premier consulting, training and auditing firm engaged in helping organizations achieve their goals in certification to standards and improvement of operations since 1992. With this vast experience QSE has helped over 670 firms achieve certifications with most of them getting certified without a major nonconformity first time around. QSE can help the organization build a data driven, evidence based, simplified, single level documentation system without adding heaps of documents to the existing system in the organization. QSE will adapt all existing documentation of the firm by making them suitable to standard and organizational requirements. QSE’s 10 Step disciplined path is insensitive to failure. Visit our website www.enhancequality.com or contact for immediate assistance phone#, 770-518-9967, or e mail: email@example.com