Energy is one of the important requirements of our life. It is difficult to imagine life without energy. Energy for use by humans and equipment is produced both by renewable energy sources and non-renewable energy sources. As per an article in IFL Science, the amount of energy produced from renewable sources is only 22 % and the bulk 78% comes from non-renewable energy sources like Bio-fuels & Nuclear (Source: http://www.iflscience.com/environment/renewables-now-produce-22-percent-worlds-electricity/)
In view of the extreme effects on the environment by the non-renewable energy sources and the high cost of generating energy from renewable sources of energy together emphasize the need for conserving energy and better manage the energy that is being consumed.
International Organization for Standardization ISO has recognized this need and has come up with a new standard for Energy Management System ISO 50001. This standard is in its final stages of Publication and should be ready early next year.
This standard aims to accomplish the following:
- Establish a baseline of energy presently used in an organization
- Actively manage energy use and cost
- Reduce environmental effects without negatively affecting operations
- Continue to improve energy efficiency over time
- Document the savings for internal and external credits like emission credits etc.
Benefits that can accrue by efficient management of energy to an enterprise can be listed as follows:
- Directs management focus on energy efficiency
- Creates awareness throughout the organization and stimulates commitment to conservation
- Introduces a sustained and integrated approach towards energy savings
- Compels managements to allot resources required to accomplish savings
- Energy savings are tangible values that can be measured
- Energy management system establishes continuity in savings despite changes in personnel
- A systematic energy savings projects can be created using the new ISO 50044
New ISO 50044 aims at creating Energy Saving Projects for enterprises (EnSPs)
These projects take into account:
- Types of costs which should be taken into account for the calculation of the economic and financial evaluation of ENSPs
- Data needed for determination and calculation of costs related to ENSPs under consideration;
- Calculation and assessment of economic and financial indicators (EFIs);
- General framework and rules for economic priorities of ENSPs;
- The principle of reporting and results expression for economic and financial evaluations of ENSPs.
Quality Systems enhancement Inc a consulting company with over 25 Years experience in coaching and consulting is one of your best bets for obtaining compliance under new standards ISO 50001and ISO 50044 and take advantage of incentives offered by Government and other Environmental protection agencies in addition to saving costs for your company and saving the environment. For further information visit our website https://qsebackup.atlcreative.co/