Safe Quality Food (SQF) is one of the Food Standards recognized by Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI). Other Standards recognized by GFSI being British Retail Consortium (BRC), and Food Safety System Certification FSSC 22000. SQF Edition 8 has been released. As per the guidelines issued by SQFI the next surveillance audit or certification audit, that can be done for the facilities dealing in foods after January 2nd, 2018 can only be done to this Edition 8. (source www.sqfi.com/newsletter ). All facilities presently certified to SQF need to upgrade to Edition 8. starting from January 2nd, 2018
What is new in SQF:
Eliminated levels: The new Edition 8 has done away with the levels. The major change is that instead of referring it as level SQF edition 8 has made it simpler by clearly stating the sector-specific FSC codes to be followed. Annexure AA of edition 8 gives a complete tabular form of module selection for the industry of your choice. Broadly all sectors are divided into 6 Categories as follows:
- What was earlier known as Primary Production is now termed as Food Safety Fundamentals, but this is not recognized by GFSI, this shall follow (Modules 2 + FSC one of 5,6,7, 7H or 8)
- Facilities engaged in Food Manufacturing shall follow (Modules 2+ FSC one of 3, 4, 9, 10, 11). Now includes This system covers pet food manufacturing and manufacturing of Animal Feed also. This is recognized by GFSI
- Facilities engaged in Storage and Distribution (Modules 2+ 12)
- Facilities engaged in Manufacture of Packaging Materials (Modules 2 + 13)
- Facilities engaged in Food Retail (new, Module 15)
- SQF Quality Code: A company will implement the quality code (formerly level 3) after achieving certification to one of the Food Safety Schemes.
How to decide Modules? :
Food Safety Code (Previously called Level 2) This level includes food safety fundamentals and a HACCP approach to managing risks and hazards. This level is comparable to the ISO 22000, FSSC 22000 & BRC standards and registration schemes. New in Edition 8: Instead of using 2 documents (module 2 + another module), you will use one. So, for example:
- If you are using Module 2 + Module 11 in 7.2, you will use Food Safety Code for Manufacturers in Edition 8. •
- if you are using Module 2 + Module 13 in 7.2, you will use Food safety Code for Manufacture of Packaging Materials in Edition 8. This level is recognized by GFSI. Quality (Previously called Level 3) This will include system elements relating to quality. The results of your quality audit will not affect the score of your food safety audit. This level is also recognized by GFSI (Source: Food Safety by Cynthia Weber.)
Goals SQF plan to achieve with the new Version: All FSC codes except FSC code for retail have been submitted to GFSI (Source www.sfqi.com) retail FSC is also likely to be approved soon and shall be published.
The aim of Changing the version to SQF Edition 8:
- To remove ambiguity in selection of Sector-specific FSC codes
- To incorporate all requirements of FSMA final rule of FDA dated 12/18/2017 (https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm589243.htm)
- To make Continuous improvement as a part of SQF scheme
- To meet all requirements of Benchmarking described in GFSI V.7.
Benefits of SQF Certification:
- SQF version 8 certification shows the commitment of the management in manufacture of Safe Quality Food and its ability to enter global markets for Food supplies
- SQF certification entails to be a quality food Supplier or be part of the Food Chain. More than 25% of Food manufacturers are demanding that their suppliers be certified to SQF.
- With SQF certification Your firm will be compliant with almost all requirements of FSMA
Quality Systems Enhancement Inc. (QSE) has now helped over 700 Organizations nationwide, reach their quality and certification Goals with over 95% of them passing audits without major nonconformities first time around. For any assistance in FSSC 22000:2017, BRC or SQF contact QSE. Visit our website https://qsebackup.atlcreative.co for further details or for immediate assistance call 770-518-9967 for immediate response for training or Certification Assistance.